Re: BSD license with Mozilla-style name clause

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:53:31 +0100 Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le mercredi 07 janvier 2009 à 09:25 -0500, Luke Faraone a écrit :
> > Hi, I'm interested in packaging Alice (RFP:
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=500648), but it's
> > license <http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=license> has naming
> > restrictions similar to Mozilla.

When asking debian-legal for a license analysis, please quote the full
license text in the body of your message, so that it is archived for
future reference.

What follows is the license text quoted verbatim:

| Copyright © 1999-2009, Carnegie Mellon University. All rights reserved.
|
| Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
| modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
| met:
|
|    1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
| notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
|    2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
| notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
| documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
|    3. Products derived from the software may not be called "Alice", nor
| may "Alice" appear in their name, without prior written permission of
| Carnegie Mellon University.
|    4. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
| software must display the following acknowledgement: "This product
| includes software developed by Carnegie Mellon University"
|
| DISCLAIMER:
| THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
| OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
| MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND
| NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE
| LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
| OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
| WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

This license is not normally referred to as a "BSD license".
It starts just as a 2-clause BSD license, but includes two additional
clauses (clause 3. and clause 4.).

Clause 4. is the so-called "obnoxious advertising clause" (OAC from
here in after), also found in the 4-clause BSD license.
The OAC is accepted by the Debian Project as DFSG-compliant, even
though it's usually recommended against (in the sense that authors are
strongly encouraged to avoid adopting licenses with the OAC).

Clause 3. is what I could call a "super-name-change" clause.
It starts as a name-change clause, but then goes beyond and forbids an
entire class of names for derived works (any name having "Alice" as a
substring).
This is overreaching, IMO, and makes the clause non-free, because it
goes beyond what is allowed (as a compromise!) by DFSG#4.
Please note that an almost identical clause is found in the PHP
license, and indeed I repeatedly stated my opinion that the PHP License
(up to version 3.01), fails to meet the DFSG.  However I failed to gain
consensus on debian-legal about the problem: other people seem to
disagree and/or don't seem to care much.
See my analysis of the license at
for further details.
FTP-masters seem to accept PHP as DFSG-free (unfortunately).

> > Would retitling the package "carol" or "wonderland" be sufficient to
> > make the package DFSG-free?
>
> Yes, it’s otherwise an old-style BSD license.
>
> I think it would also be enough to obtain a permission from the authors
> to call Debian modified versions "Alice", as long as renaming it is easy
> otherwise. We have allowed such things in the past.

I don't think the situation is crystal clear.

The Debian Project is in the same waters with PHP: there's a package
named "php5" which includes a (possibly) modified version of PHP.  The
modifications are at least the ones necessary to package PHP and
integrate it with the Debian system, if any: package php5 may be
considered a derived product of PHP, perhaps.
Is calling it "php5" allowed by the PHP license?
Someone could nitpick that "php" != "PHP": OK, in that case
"alice" != "Alice"...
Otherwise, someone could claim that package php5 *is* PHP, rather than a
derived product, since the modifications are not enough to create a
derived product (?!?).  I am personally not much convinced, but
anyway...
Otherwise?

In summary, the license could possibly be considered acceptable by
FTP-masters (even though it should not, IMHO!!!), but it is not clear
to me how the Debian Project can avoid violating the license itself,
unless a different name is used for the package, as proposed...

N.B.: the above is my own personal opinion and my usual disclaimers
apply (IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP).

--
 On some search engines, searching for my nickname AND
 "nano-documents" may lead you to my website...