Re: independent.nu - DFSG compatible?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008, Sean Kellogg wrote:
> On Saturday 27 September 2008 05:54:02 pm Don Armstrong wrote:
> > The problem is that we're working off of a translation without any
> > information as to what the underlying words that were translated
> > actually mean. There's not a one-to-one mapping between languages.
>
> Which is certainly a fair point... but I'm thinking the initial
> poster is a native speaker, and isn't going to insert terms like
> "rights" into sentences that is talking about costs.

A right to use a copyrighted work traditionally involves cost; these
are not orthogonal concepts.

> Also, that second sentence would have to be essentially made-up if
> the first sentence is really talking about money.

It's possible to interpret it in an entirely consistent manner if it's
just refering to performance and not modification. It wouldn't be the
first time that someone used two sentences to amplify or expand the
point that they are making in the first. For example, I'm going to do
so right here.

Don Armstrong

--
"You have many years to live--do things you will be proud to remember
when you are old."