Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> writes:

> "Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What's so non-free about requiring the same network that's
> > providing the interface to somehow and vaguely facilitate the
> > conveying of the source?
>
> It's an extra required cost on top of one's use of the software.

Here again we must be careful with the myriad applications of the word
“use”. Remember that the AGPL is specifically designed to distinguish
two types of “use”: running the software, and interacting with it.

I take your above statement to mean “[The requirement to distribute
corresponding source upon request to any person who interacts with the
software is] an extra required cost on top of one's running of the
software.” The term “use the software”, which could reasonably be
applied to both parties in that statement, is best avoided as
obfuscating the point.

Forgive this pedantry; it is precisely these terminological confusions
that can lead us to speak at cross purposes in these discussions.

--
 \           “I just got out of the hospital; I was in a speed-reading |
  `\     accident. I hit a bookmark and flew across the room.” —Steven |