Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> Hmmm, let’s see: If some company takes a hypothetical AGPL-licensed
> variant of OpenOffice [...] put it on terminal servers, maybe with
> expensive access ...
> ... then, in the spirit of Free Software, I’ll be thankful that due to
> the AGPL I, as a user, can get the source from it.

Like the GPL, the AGPL does not require one to *distribute* to all
users, only your users, so unless you pay their expensive access fees,
you don't get the improved version.

> Therefore, not by word-by-word interpretation, but by respecting the
> spirit of the DFSG in the light of new developments, I consider AGPL
> licensed works as acceptable for Debian. (This is, in a sense, a
> political statement.)

Where is "required distribution" in the spirit of the DFSG?  I don't
see it.  Freedom to distribute yes, but not requirement.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef