Re: Public Domain for Germans

>but I fail to see what a

>"I hereby place this work in the public domain."

>fails to do.

In Germany there is no possibility to waive copyright.
You neither can give it to somebody other nor to the public.
So this attention is possibly void, and it's unsure, what a random German court would decide.

>It's not clear that ?use? is enough; it doesn't specify copy,
>modify, or redistribute rights.

Would this be enough?

In case this is not legally possible,
I grant any entity any right, which would require permission of the copyright-holder
including but not limited to use, copy, modify and redistribute this work for any purpose,
without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

or is a simple "If it's not possible, I grant permission for everything" enough?

>If you have the option to decide on a license, it's probably far
>simpler to *retain* copyright as per default, and grant the recipient
>a do-just-about-anything license like the Expat license

Is there any problem with the by default Public Domain Declaration,
if there is a free licence as fallback?

--

#adBox3 {display:none;}