Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

2008/9/15 Arc Riley <arcriley@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Davi Leal <davi@leals.com> wrote:
>> Is it so hard for you understand, that not being able to distribute only
>> the
>> binary of a modified Linux kernel (without distributing its source code)
>> is a
>> rectriction?
> I think at this point we're all clear on the terms of the license.  If there
> are remaining questions, they should be asked.
> We've come to a point where our varying beliefs across a spectrum from
> anti-copyleft to strong copyleft are being voiced.  This is what I have
> written earlier in this thread in degrading into personal opinions rather
> than arguing DFSG-freeness.

I agree. I think all the points of view have been expressed, and there
is no reason to keep repeating all of them over and over again [1]

> The issue of whether the AGPLv3 should be used is moot here.  It is being
> used, it's popularity is growing, and Debian users are choosing to use
> AGPLv3 software regardless of whether it's packaged or how it's labeled.
> The only issue at hand is whether the Debian project is going to behave in a
> combative manner against these projects in labeling them as "non-free" or
> accept them as part of the body of free software.

That's not exactly a reason. Many Debian users are using
flashplugin-nonfree [2] and that doesn't make it free. non-free does
not have to mean bad or good, or that Debian is combative against it.
It just describes whether it fulfills or not the Debian Free Software

[1] http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2004/03/21/charles_rules_of_argument/
[2] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=flashplugin-nonfree