Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

Le jeudi 21 août 2008 à 11:16 +0200, Miriam Ruiz a écrit :
> Yes, I'm saying that it might be failing it. If you use a program
> (possibly modified) covered by AGPLv3 that uses some kind of network,
> and you cannot convey its source code to the remote people you're
> interacting with through that network itself, possibly due to
> technical reasons (like, for example, bandwidth or connection time
> limits), you must make it available to them by some means, all of
> which I can think of mean in some way or another identifying yourself
> (yes, even storing the source code in a public server probably means
> that).

Whoa? I really don’t get you here.

The “problem” with the AGPLv3 is that you can argue the distribution
requirement is onerous. It may be a bit more onerous for a dissident,
but frankly we are talking about ridiculous costs here (and there are
several technical ways to distribute sources at large without being
identified, so in reality your dissident is OK).

As often stated on this list, you cannot always state the DFSG-freeness
of a license, you need to apply the rules to a *work*. If the sources
are several gigabytes large, then the price of distributing them becomes
unacceptable and the work may not be DFSG-free.

--
 .''`.