Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

2008/8/21 Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> So, everything is pointing towards this situation:
>> 1) The program must somehow inform the other user that the source code
>> is available, which might be quite hard depending on the communication
>> protocol.
>> 2) The source code must be put in a more or less stable server, with
>> the cost associated to that, because you cannot trust the current
>> network link to be enough to fulfill the requirements of the license.
>> 3) The user cannot remain anonymous.
>
> In the case of point #3 that you're making here, are you saying that
> the AGPLv3 fails the dissident test?

Yes, I'm saying that it might be failing it. If you use a program
(possibly modified) covered by AGPLv3 that uses some kind of network,
and you cannot convey its source code to the remote people you're
interacting with through that network itself, possibly due to
technical reasons (like, for example, bandwidth or connection time
limits), you must make it available to them by some means, all of
which I can think of mean in some way or another identifying yourself
(yes, even storing the source code in a public server probably means
that).

Greetings,
Miry