Re: ITP: debian-backports-keyring -- GnuPG archive key of the backports.org repository

Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:15:16 +0200 Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> > I don't think that "modifying" has any reasonable meaning when talking
> > about cryptographic keys.
>
> Why not?

Because it implies that you'd obtain something meaningful after
the modification. The intent of the right to modify is that you
can do something meaningful with the work. With any bitstream you
can change random characters at will.

I do not see any meaningful modification I can do with someone's
key block.

> 5454 may be modified into 5457 by adding 3.
> Or into 2727 by dividing by 2.

Well, if that's what you want, then the key block is source enough
for the purpose. I just don't understand the point. It gets much
more interesting if you want to modify, say, the name and e-mail
address in an informational field in the key block.

> P.S.: now what should I do?
> "to add disclaimers or not to add disclaimers? this is the question!"
> ;-)

Disclaimers usually aren't worth the electroncs they're reproduced with.

Arnoud

--
IT lawyer, blogger and patent attorney ~ Partner at ICTRecht.nl legal services
        http://www.arnoud.engelfriet.net/ ~ http://www.iusmentis.com/