Re: ITP: debian-backports-keyring -- GnuPG archive key of the backports.org repository

Ken Arromdee wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > OK, that said, if you wanted to modify a public key (in order to obtain
> > something else), what form would you use for making modifications?
> > I think the preferred form would be the one in which the GPG public key
> > is distributed by keyservers or some other equivalent form (which may
> > be losslessly obtained from the distribution form).
>
> Wouldn't the preferred form for modification be the number that's used to
> generate both the private and public key?

I don't think that "modifying" has any reasonable meaning when talking
about cryptographic keys. A key is a number, or a set of numbers in
the case of public-key cryptography. How do you modify a number?

Arnoud

--
IT lawyer, blogger and patent attorney ~ Partner at ICTRecht.nl legal services
        http://www.arnoud.engelfriet.net/ ~ http://www.iusmentis.com/