Re: Swiss Ephemeris astronomy library forgoes non-DFSG license in favour of GPL

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:50:33 +0530 Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> Hello. I'm not currently a member of the list, so please CC me.

Done.

> As per the public announcement archived at
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/swisseph/message/1918

This announcement seems to require a Yahoo account
in order to be read...

> the current
> version 1.74 of the Swiss Ephemeris astronomy library has been
> released under a dual-licensing scheme, with the "GPL 2 or later"
> being the DFSG-compatible open source license.

This is really great news!!  :-)

> Previously (until version 1.73) they used a non-DFSG compatible
> license, the Swiss Ephemeris Public License (see
> http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#head-1ee6c9e79e063c30e134ca02bff7af1bd5bbcef1
> ) as the "open-source" license. But after months of my humble effort
> (mostly consisting of repeated mails to their mailing list but nothing
> more than that), they have now switched to the GPL.

Your efforts are really appreciated, indeed!
Thanks for doing this!!

> This list has previously helped me regarding what licensing policy to
> suggest to them etc, so I felt I should echo their announcement here
> and say thanks for all those who helped me.

Thanks to you for persuading upstream to adopt the GNU GPL!

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!