Re: Copy vs. (re)distribute

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> writes:

> since I've got upstreams (having copied some code from others,
> that's why they aren't spelling it out directly) that aren't
> convinced that having the rights to copy, use, modify is
> insufficient to meet the DFSG.

This is answered directly by DFSG §3:

    3. Derived Works
       The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must
       allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license
       of the original software.

> From what I recall having read during NM, I've never seen any
> discussion comparing the rights to copy and to (re)distribute. Could
> someone please shed some light, and/or share pointers to some nice
> reading on that topic?

I'm sure the Debian Free Software Guidelines FAQ document
<URL:http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq> discusses this, but the
URL is currently giving a 403 Forbidden response :-(

--
 \          "About four years ago, I was -- no, it was yesterday."  -- |
  `\                                                     Steven Wright |