Re: Inc. logo in game data

On Sat, 3 May 2008 15:26:24 -0400 Joe Smith wrote:

> "Wen-Yen Chuang" <caleb@calno.com> wrote in message
> [🔎] 481C33CB.4010304@calno.com">news:[🔎] 481C33CB.4010304@calno.com...
[...]
> >Gonéri Le Bouder pointed that commercial Inc. logos are showed at the
> >very begining of those games. [1]
> >
> >He thinks that those games should to be put in non-free, unless we can
> >remove those logos. [2]
>

> If you are unable to remove the logos due to lack of ability, then I really
> am not persuaded by the argument that the software is free. Even if the
> argument that the .dsk file is the prefered form of modification, Without
> the ability to actually modify it, it really fails Freedoms #1 and #3 of the
> Free Software Definition, and thus could not be considered free.

I agree, and I actually raised such doubts about beneath-a-steel-sky:
http://bugs.debian.org/322620#67

> The licence of the games most certainly is not intended to extend to
> modification of the logos. Removal of the logos may be fine (if possible
> replace them with textual notices, so as not to be removing proper credit to
> the creator and original publisher), but keeping them is almost certainly
> not.

Again I agree.

> Considering the previous 2 arguments, I belive the games belong in non-free
> unless those logos are removed.

I would certainly recommend removing the logos.
Losing those great games just for a few non-free logos shown at the
beginning would be a real waste.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!