Re: Inc. logo in game data

"Wen-Yen Chuang" <caleb@calno.com> wrote in message [🔎] 481C33CB.4010304@calno.com">news:[🔎] 481C33CB.4010304@calno.com...

Hello,

The beneath-a-steel-sky and flight-of-the-amazon-queen are two packages
in Debian main/games.

I opened ITP #478543 for the game lure-of-the-temptress. Its license is
as same as beneath-a-steel-sky. They are both products of Revolution
Software Ltd., and are released as freeware.

Gonéri Le Bouder pointed that commercial Inc. logos are showed at the
very begining of those games. [1]

He thinks that those games should to be put in non-free, unless we can
remove those logos. [2]

If you are unable to remove the logos due to lack of ability, then I really am not persuaded by the argument that the software is free. Even if the argument that the .dsk file is the prefered form of modification, Without the ability to actually modify it, it really fails Freedoms #1 and #3 of the Free Software Definition, and thus could not be considered free.

The licence of the games most certainly is not intended to extend to modification of the logos. Removal of the logos may be fine (if possible replace them with textual notices, so as not to be removing proper credit to the creator and original publisher), but keeping them is almost certainly not.

Considering the previous 2 arguments, I belive the games belong in non-free unless those logos are removed.