Re: Liberation Font License revisited

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:56:25 +0200 Hendrik Weimer wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:41:08 +0200 Hendrik Weimer wrote:
> >
> >> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> I did.
> >
> > And how did they explain the difference in their conclusions?!?
>
> They didn't. However, I am not sure whether RMS's message can be
> considered as official position of the FSF.

I would say quite official...
There have been cases in the past where RMS "censored" GNU developers'
diverging opinions.  E.g.: a GNU developer (Thomas Bushnell) was
dismissed by RMS for having publicly spoken against the GFDL
(see http://lwn.net/Articles/59147/ and
http://lists.softwarelibero.it/pipermail/discussioni/2003-November/008465.html).

[...]
> > The main argument was that the license (GPLv2 + restrictions) is
> > self-contradictory and thus invalid.
> > This conclusion was *confirmed* by RMS, who basically brought the same
> > argument.  However, I think the argument holds even if RMS and/or the
> > FSF change(s) his/their mind(s) afterwards, unless he/they bring(s) new
> > data to support his/their new opposite conclusion...
>
> As was already pointed out in the previous thread, this interpretation
> relies on that the "no further restrictions" clause applies to GPLv2 +
> restrictions, not to GPLv2 alone.

I've already explained (in the cited old debian-legal thread) why I
don't think this interpretation is backed by the actual GPLv2 text.

> I fully agree with you that the Liberation Font license is
> sub-optimal, however I do not see a scenario where distribution of the
> fonts by Debian led to legal trouble or a violation of the DFSG. Can
> you think of such a situation?

*If* my analysis is correct, we do not have *any* valid license to
distribute (let alone modify) those fonts.
Hence there may be legal troubles, namely copyright violation issues,
in distributing them.  This makes them unsuitable even for the non-free
archive!

One could say that the intention of Red Hat to grant a redistribution
(and modification) permission is clear, but in fact it is *not* clear
*at all*, being self-contradictory!
So, once again, I don't think we have a valid license to redistribute
(and/or modify) those fonts...

As usual: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!