Re: Liberation Font License revisited

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:41:08 +0200 Hendrik Weimer wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:
[...]
> > Did you point RMS' message [4] out to the FSF when you contacted them?
>
> I did.

And how did they explain the difference in their conclusions?!?

> >> This should make this license acceptable for Debian, right?
> >
> > This makes this license acceptable for the *FSF*, which is a different
> > organization.
>
> As far as I can see, the main argument against this license here on
> debian-legal was that the FSF (or RMS) had considered such licenses to
> be invalid.

I don't think this is an accurate summary of the debian-legal
discussion on the topic.

The main argument was that the license (GPLv2 + restrictions) is
self-contradictory and thus invalid.
This conclusion was *confirmed* by RMS, who basically brought the same
argument.  However, I think the argument holds even if RMS and/or the
FSF change(s) his/their mind(s) afterwards, unless he/they bring(s) new
data to support his/their new opposite conclusion...

> However, this seems not to be the case now, no matter
> whether the FSF changed their mind or not.

I would like to hear them explain *why* the two cases (which seem
basically identical to me) get two opposite conclusions from them.
Could they elaborate?

Or else, if they changed their minds about the teTeX case, I would like
to hear them explain *why* they did.

I'm really puzzled.
Anyway, my disclaimers still hold: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!