Re: [OctDev] Clarification about PDF file license

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:35:25 +0200 David Bateman wrote:

[...]
> As mkdoc and mktexi are build tools that are independent of the package
> in the same way than gcc is I don't see the need to distribute them with
> the package and would prefer not to.

Debian Policy mandates that every package included in Debian (main)
complies with the DFSG (and hence, among other requirements, must have
source) and "must not require a package outside of main for compilation
or execution".
See http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-main

Hence the Debian source package should include mkdoc and mktexi or else
Build-Depend on another main package which ships with those two Perl
scripts.

> However I have included noth
> fixed.texi and fixed.txi in the source packages from octave-forge itself
> now.

Thanks.

[...]
> Do you seriously want
> to package the mkdoc/mktexi scripts seperately from octave-forge itself,
> just to be able to rebuild fixed.texi on the off-chance you'll want to
> do it?

As I said above, I seriously think that the mkdoc/mktexi scripts should
be distributed in Debian (main).  In the Debian source package of
octave-fixed or otherwise in another main package.

As in my previous messages: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!