Re: Nikto license on data files

"Paul Wise" <pabs@debian.org> wrote in message [🔎] e13a36b30804052125r5692134wb1db629f404a4469@mail.gmail.com">news:[🔎] e13a36b30804052125r5692134wb1db629f404a4469@mail.gmail.com...
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM, Vincent Bernat <bernat@luffy.cx> wrote:

 OK. Another  question: nikto  has been removed  but is still  present in
 stable. It contains  the same non-free data. Since  the package has been
 orphaned, who should I contact about this? ftp-master?

I'd say nikto is in the 'never should have been uploaded in the first
place' category.

I think it is reasonable to remove it from etch too.

This page says that removals from stable are handled by the stable
release managers:

http://wiki.debian.org/ftpmaster_Removals

I suspect a message like the following is in order (to be sent to the stable RMs):

The orphaned package Nikto has been determined to be non-free but distributable, and is present in Etch's main section. It should be removed at your earliest convenience (preferably as part of the next point release). Thanks.

Or something to that effect. Notably this makes it clear that pulling it from the existing release is not an urgent priority, as it would be for undistributable content, but to uphold our Social Contract we must remove it as soon as reasonably possible which would be the next point release.

IANAL, IANADD.