Re: IETF changing their IPR policy, not DFSG compliant

Hi Simon, thanks for forwarding this.

Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Basically, this post is a For-Your-Information note, and while it
> doesn't bring up something for discussion on this list, I do think a
> license change in the IETF may be interesting to some debian-legal
> participants.

My sense from the IPR-WG and IETF-discuss conversations is that folks in
the IETF don't have a strong interest in making sure that RFCs are DFSG
compliant. However, there is a small "out clause", in that contributors
may separately license the RFCs they author (since they retain the
original rights). Perhaps it makes sense to use that in a productive and
creative manner. I would propose:

(1) We formulate the recommended text of an information notice that
authors can place in their published RFCs.

(2) We launch a special repository for "non-RFC RFCs", where RFC authors
can upload their separately-licensed specs (not labelled as RFCs) under
a DFSG-friendly license.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre