IETF changing their IPR policy, not DFSG compliant

All,

The IETF is about to change their IPR policy and turn it into a two-step
process where contributors assign rights to the IETF Trust which then
grant rights to others.  The relevant documents are:

 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipr-outbound-rights-06.txt
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipr-3978-incoming-08.txt

The result of this complicated licensing is not DFSG compliant.  That
concern has been discussed by the working group behind the documents,
but we failed to gain consensus for making the licensing DFSG compliant.

If you have other concerns with the document, or wish to re-state the
DFSG-problem in a bigger context, the IETF is conducting a last call on
the documents right now, see the announcement below.

There are other parts of those documents which can have consequences for
Debian, for example it discusses more liberal licensing on code-like
parts of documents.  It is not clear whether the licensing will be
sufficient clear to meet DFSG, and getting review on that as well may be
useful.

Basically, this post is a For-Your-Information note, and while it
doesn't bring up something for discussion on this list, I do think a
license change in the IETF may be interesting to some debian-legal
participants.

Thanks,
/Simon