Re: Desert island test

Sean Kellogg <skellogg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 February 2008 07:21:27 pm Felipe Augusto van de Wiel
> (faw) wrote:
> > >
> > > And not grounded in the specific language of the DFSG but rather
> > > a shared aspiration of what the document "ought" to say. I have
> > > never seen an attempt to tie the three tests to specific points
> > > and thus it is impossible to debate and discuss the test
> > > themselves... it has become assumed knowledge.
> >
> > 	Ahhmm... during NM, candidates must tie DFSG points
> > with the three tests, you can even find debates on -legal
> > about which points each test addresses.
>
> Ahhmm?! I've been subscribed to d-l for around five years now and I
> have never seen anyone tie a test to a DFSG point even though folks
> have asked. In fact, it wasn't until someone posted the wikipedia
> article on the DFSG that I've seen the three tests spelled out "on
> paper".

You just have not been around long enough ;) The desert island test
was first mentioned in 2002 in

The first time someone tried writing down all of these tests was in Mar 2003

The page cited in that email still exists at

  http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry@caltech.edu