Re: new program based on 2 differently-licensed previous ones

[Sorry for the delay in replying, I forgot to mention to CC me as I am
not subscribed.]

> Which MIT license? MIT have released programs under several different
> licenses. Even X11 has been released under different (incompatible)
> licenses.

I didn't realize there were multiple. It's this one:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

> I'll assume you mean the terms of the Expat license (the terms of
> which are effectively the same as *one* of the MIT licenses).

You assume correctly.

> The Expat license explicitly grants permission to sublicense the work,
> so your combined work can be licensed under the GPL.

Great.

> The terms also require you to retain the original copyright and
> license on the work: theoretically any recipient has the right to take
> just the Expat-licensed part from your work, and gain all its
> permissions.

So then do I only have to keep a file that mentions this license
somewhere in the new program's files? That would seem to satisfy the
"original copyright and license", but what about file headers
referring to the MIT/Expat license that say, e.g.:

# Copyright 2002 Some Guy, All Rights Reserved
# see LICENSE.txt for license information

Do I have to keep all those as well? (I'm not trying to hide other
authors contribution, I'm just trying to avoid a scenario in which
every file lists lots of authors and copyright information.)

>From re-reading the MIT and GPL licenses again, it seems like I can
remove the ones referring to the MIT licensed work (as long as I keep
the LICENSE.txt file info somewhere), but the GPL license references
in the file headers will have to be kept (due to the clause "keep
intact all the notices that refer to this License"). Correct?

> > 2) Do I NEED to make reference to the other works? Should I?
>
> What are "the other works"? Remember that you have no right (modulo
> fair use in your jurisdiction, which won't be much) to redistribute
> nor sublicense except what is explicitly granted in the license terms,
> so check those.

The "other works" are the 2 differently-licensed programs my new
program is based on.

Thanks,
Cameron