Re: About a license of a package.

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 08:40:35 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>> MakeHuman© code is released under GNU General Public License (GPL v.3)
>                                                                 ^^^^^^^
>>
>> Copyright© 2001-2007 makehuman.org
>>
>> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
>> under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
>> Free Software Foundation, version 2. This program is distributed
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Contradictory. It's possible that this could be interpreted as "licensed
> under your choice of GPLv2 or GPLv3", but I would strongly suspect the
> intent of the copyright holder is something else. You need to determine
> exactly what they mean by this.
Indeed, the website is contradictory. The code itself has a similar
problem: (at least some of) the headers say GPLv3 or later, but the
version of the GPL included as the COPYING file is v2.

IMHO, it's clear that the copyright holder formerly intended GPLv2 or
later, but now intends GPLv3 or later. If you look at e.g. <http://
makehuman.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/makehuman/makehuman/src/
BodyPanel.cpp?view=log>*, you can see source files very deliberately
changed to say GPLv3 or later from GPLv2 or later. I'd put down the
remaining references to v2 as an oversight.

* The makehuman website links to SourceForge; I'm not linking to random
websites to support my point ;)

Regards,
--
Iain Nicol