Re: web hosting providers' modified .debs

Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Thu Jan 24 11:37, John Halton wrote:
> > It seems clear enough that the administrators of toad are
> > "propagating" /bin/ls. And that "propagation" is one that "enables
> > other parties to make or receive copies". Nor is this "mere
> > interaction ... with no transfer of a copy" - *running* /bin/ls would
> > fit this category, but making a copy of /bin/ls in your home directory
> > is a different matter.
> >
> > So this would seem to be "conveying" within the meaning of GPL v.3,
> > and thus will fall within clause 6 of GPL v.3, "Conveying Non-Source
> > Forms".
>
> So, do we need to have the sources all installed on our shell hosts? or
> a written offer good for three years to provide the source?

Perhaps a simple way to avoid this is to simply 'chmod g-r' the
executables in question. With only execute permission a mortal user
cannot copy the binary, so there's no propagation going on.

If the system has a world-readable /usr/src with full sources, I
would argue that satisfies any obligation to make source available.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/