Re: patents on Frets on Fire, Pydance, StepMania and such games

"Don Armstrong" <don@debian.org> wrote in message [🔎] 20080119014257.GE13670@volo.donarmstrong.com">news:[🔎] 20080119014257.GE13670@volo.donarmstrong.com...
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Joe Smith wrote:
That is not sheet music, but more of a raw storage of notes,
timings, and durations (not too unlike a midi file).

What else is sheet music but a storage form of notes, timings and
durations?

I agrue that sheet music differs significantly from midi files,
although it is generaly possible to generate one from the other with a reasonable
level of accuracy.
Basically, AIUI that requirement is about a machine readable representation
of the notes, etc. I will agree that at least some sheet music creation software must store
data in a format that qualifies.

But the key here is that this specifies that the interface must have
two different types of controls. One that must be pressed with the
correct timing (the strum bar on a Guitar Hero controler) as well as
selection buttons that need not be pushed with exact timing, but
need only be pushed in the right combination when the timing control
is pushed.

So you have an instrument which has to preselect a note, and another
which much be pressed with exact timing. Most wind instruments satisfy
that requirement.

True enough. However, to find prior art for this claim would likely require
we find a "game system" which shows players some form of sheet music representation of data stored in a more machine readable format , to which such a wind instrument is played.

If we can find that we have prior art. It seems entirely possible that such software exists, but I don't know of
any such software off the top of my head.

Further, this does show that this particular patent would not apply to pydance or StepMania.