Re: Design Science License (in freevo)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:42:11 +0000 (GMT) MJ Ray wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
[...]
> > If, on the other hand, you make a dummy modification to an "Object
> > Form" just to claim that it is "Source Data", then I think that you are
> > cheating with the license...  For instance, I would not directly modify
> > a PNG image compiled from SVG, unless I really decide to go on
> > maintaining the image in PNG format.
>
> I don't see things like svg2png as a dummy modification or as cheating.

If you perform an automatic format conversion, then you are compiling
(i.e.: generating "Object Form" from "Source Data"), not changing the
"Source Data" form.

Unless you perform the conversion once, and then go on modifying the
work directly in the new format, I mean.

It's just like "gcc -S": if, after translating your C program into
assembly code, you go on modifying it directly in assembly, then the
source for the modified program is really in assembly language.  On the
other hand, if you just perform the automatic translation before
distributing (but you intend to restart from C code, as soon as a
modification is needed), then the source is still C code.

As usual: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/progs/scripts/refresh-pubring.html
 New! Version 0.6 available! What? See for yourself!