Re: License question

Karl Schmidt <karl@xtronics.com> writes:

> I have a package
> (ftp://ftp.linuxcanada.com/pub/Quasar/1.4.7/source/quasar-1.4.7_GPL.tgz)
>
>  that I want to bring in to Debian, but it has two licenses in the
>  base directory.

The presence of a file containing license terms is not enough to act
as a grant of license under those terms. It is merely a text document
included in the work. And, as in this case, several such documents can
be included, and none of them act as a grant of license unless the
copyright holder explicitly says so in writing.

What is needed is an explicit grant of license from the copyright
holders in the work, clearly indicating or stating the terms under
which the recipient may exercise rights normally reserved to the
copyright holder.

You need to look through the work: preferably every file of creative
effort in the work, since many works consist of contributions from
many copyright holders under different license terms. Find what the
copyright notice says about permission or license; that information
will tell you what license terms apply, and needs to go into the
'debian/copyright' file.

> (please copy me off list)

Done.

--
 \          "The only tyrant I accept in this world is the still voice |
  `\                                       within."  -- Mahatma Gandhi |