Re: uploading GPLv3 packages

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:42:03 +1000
Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Ricardo Mones <mones@debian.org> writes:
>
> >   Is it legal to upload a package with GPLv3 license right now?
>
> It's always legal to upload it anywhere, because the license gives you
> the permission to do that (provided you comply with the rest of the
> terms).

  True, I should have been more specific as you nicely guessed :)

> Whether a GPLv3 work is distributable compliant with Debian's own DFSG
> is a different matter -- and if the answer is "no", that doesn't make
> it *illegal* for you to distribute it.

  Indeed, but even if it's legally redistributable it may not agree to the
DFSG, so would not qualify to be uploaded into main category of the archive,
which is my original worry. From your answer seems this is a pending
question, which doesn't help me to decide.

  FWIW I'm not asking because of a theoretical concern: the claws-mail
upstream has moved license to GPLv3, and the next version will be probably
released in a couple of weeks.

  regards,
--
 Ricardo Mones