Re: License and copyright in generated code from wsdl2h in gsoap package

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 21:03 +0200, Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> Khalid Aziz wrote:
> > So the generated code not only automatically gets placed under GPL, it
> > also gets its copyright assigned to someone else.

> I don't know this tool at all. Does it only transform your input
> into code, or is some code written by this Robert van Engelen also
> inserted? For example, startup code or some standard library?

This tool generates C code from XML file. So in a way, this tool is
generating all of the code in its output which can be considered to have
been written by Robert van Engelen since he wrote the tool.

> This is indeed similar to gcc, which adds code from libgcc (or
> libstdc++) to your program. But gcc has an exception that permits
> you to use  whatever license you want to the output.
> http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/SharedLibgccLegal

This refers to linking one's final binary with gcc libraries and the
startup code. If one were to use gcc to generate assembly code from C
code without linking it with libgcc or libstdc++, gcc does not require
the resulting assembly language code to be licensed under GPL.

--
Khalid