Re: Why is firebird in Debian?

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:12:15 +1000 Anthony Towns wrote:

[...]
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 08:16:45PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > According To Anthony Towns, I Am Always Wrong Because IANADD/IANAL
[...]
> Uh, guys, stop being insane.

Politeness is always appreciated, thanks.

[...]
> 2) That you're not a lawyer or a DD means that you're not trained in
> interpreting licenses, and that Debian's policies aren't based on your
> opinion -- in both cases. That means that you're not in a position to
> speak authoritively about most of the issues that come up on this
> list, so when what you write is written in a way that people will
> misinterpret as an authoritative answer, that's a problem, which is
> only compounded if what you say is also incorrect.
>
> Licensing analysis requires an ability to understand subtleties of
> language, and I wouldn't expect anyone who's competent at that to need
> the above repeatedly explained.

You are basically saying that:

| It is my opinion that the MPL license fails to meet the DFSG.
| This opinion seems to be shared by other debian-legal regulars

accompanied by

| Standardized disclaimers: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

which mean

* I Am Not A Lawyer
* This Is Not Legal Advice
* I Am Not A Debian Developer
* This Is Not A Statement Of The Official Debian Position

is something that is "written in a way that people will misinterpret as
an authoritative answer".

Frankly speaking, I cannot imagine what more I should have done to
clarify things and avoid misinterpretations.
Apart from *not speaking at all*, of course, which seems to be what you
really want me to do...

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?