Re: Why is firebird in Debian?

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 10:19:03PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> Anthony Towns,

[...]

> It appears that You are distributing firebird2-common in violation
> of IPL section 3.6, and therefore in violation of copyright law in
> many jurisdictions.

Okay, so the extent of your complaint is that you don't think there's
sufficient notice of how to get the source; and that you're not a user
of a version of firebird2 let alone a version of it for which the source
actually isn't trivially available, nor a contributor to it upstream,
which are the only two cases for which you'd have any basis to actually
complain?

If so, great, whatever, but I'm not going to spend my time seeing how
many ways you can come up with to be daft about legal issues. If you
want to contribute to Debian, find something *productive* to do about
analysing licenses, rather than trying to find ways to define everything
you don't like as non-free or illegal.

Cheers,
aj