Re: GPL v3 app with copied GPLv2 or later source and linked against LGPL-2 or later libraries

In message <[🔎] 20070710115359.4cff03e6.codehelp@debian.org>, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes
All the gnucash source code used in gpe-cash is "GPLv2 or later".
The Gtk frontend for gpe-cash is GPLv3 or later. I am therefore
using my option to distribute and modify the gnucash source code
under a later version of the GPL, bringing the entire source code
for gpe-cash under version 3 of the GPL. This specifically includes
the shared library libqofcashobjects.
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>

You are NOT "bringing the entire source code for gpe-cash under version 3 of the GPL". If it was licenced "2 or later", it STAYS "2 or later".

What you are doing is saying "gpe-cash contains some code that is '2 or later' and some code that is '3 only' or '3 or later', therefore 3 is the only licence that is valid for gpe-cash".

To re-iterate. You are NOT changing the pre-existing licence on code you've borrowed. But because of the mix of licences, the only licence that is valid for the combined work is v3.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk