Re: (C) vs ©

"Anthony W. Youngman" <debian@thewolery.demon.co.uk> writes:

> >Ben Finney writes:
> >"Giacomo A. Catenazzi" <cate@debian.org> writes:
> >> What character encoding should be used?
> >
> >The same encoding as the rest of the file.
>
> And if that encoding is 7-bit ascii ???

Copyright law allows for two copyright symbols: the © one, and the
sequence of characters 'copr.'. The latter is rarely used, probably
because it looks so awkward; but those are the only two recognised
under the law. The '(C)' representation is *not* recognised under
copyright law.

Presumably, your 7-bit ASCII keyboard can produce 'copr.'. Then, when
you've done that, join us in the third millennium where we have
international character sets. (And, incidentally, where we have the
Berne convention, making most of this dicussion moot by creating
copyright monopolies even in the absence of explicit copyright
notices.)

--
 \       "I have a map of the United States; it's actual size. It says |
  `\   '1 mile equals 1 mile'... Last summer, I folded it."  -- Steven |