Re: (C) vs ©

In message <46530024.3070904@debian.org>, Giacomo A. Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> writes
Ben Finney wrote:
Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@gmail.com> writes:

I have heard that in copyright declarations like:
Copyright (C) 2007, Company X, Country Y. All rights reserved.
-----------

it is incorrect to use (C) in place of the symbol © which is the
strict copyright symbol. Is this so? If yes, why?
 It's possibly not a valid copyright indicator. The © symbol is
unambiguous under the law, and thus preferred.

"unambiguous under the law", but technical ambiguous. What character
encoding should be used?

IMHO "(c)" is the character representation of the copyright symbol,
and when you print it, you should substitute with the correct symbol,
as the "ff", "ffl", "fl", .. ligatures.

Anyway when the symbol is not printed, it should be written in some
other form (a sequence of bits, which are not law defined), so
IMHO any "obvious" representation should be valid.

And what if you have an old-fashioned typewriter. It's all very well saying "you must use the copyright symbol", but what if your golfball/daisywheel/lineprinter doesn't have it? Or like me, it isn't on my keyboard, and I haven't learnt how to make my keyboard produce a copyright symbol?

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk