Re: Remakes of older games

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 16:07:04 Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:44:41 +0200 Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > I've already talked to upstream and they're licensing them under GPL,
> > so no problem about the license.
>
> Well, it must be seen *if* upstream actually have the right to license
> them under the GNU GPL...

Looking at the actual games on the actual site, I see no reason to doubt
them any more than any other software released under the GPL.

> If the "remake" copies copyrighted elements from the other game
> (characters, story/plot, dialogs, or, worse, graphics/sounds), then I

Remember that as ideas, stories and plots are never copyrightable.
Particular *expressions* of them are. So wholesale copying of story or plot
from a game (or book, or movie or whatever) with all it's nuances would
indeed make a derivative work, but just having the same general story or
plot would not. The same is true of characters, with some caveats.
Obviously copied dialog, graphics, or sound from a non-free source would be
a problem.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>