Re: Dual licensing

2007/5/11, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it>:
Hi!  :)

Thanks for your reply :)

What do you mean by "announcement clause"?]
Do you mean the Obnoxious Advertising Clause (OAC, hereinafter)?
See[1] for more information about the OAC.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

Yep, I mean that one. Not my choice, but upstream's

I did't searched hard in the list archive, but I think we can draft an
appropriate permission notice, starting from the Perl one...

    Copyright (c) [yyyy]  [author list]

    This work is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of either:

    a) the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
       Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later
       version, or

    b) the "4-clause BSD license" which is quoted below.

    This work is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU General Public License, or the "4-clause BSD license" below for
    more details.

    along with this work; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
    Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301, USA

    The text of the "4-clause BSD license" follows:

    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
    are met:

     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

     * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
       copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
       disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
       with the distribution.

     * All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
       software must display the following acknowledgement: This
       product includes software developed by the University of
       California, Berkeley and its contributors.

     * Neither the name of the copyright holders nor the names of
       its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
       derived from this software without specific prior written
       permission.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
    "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
    LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
    FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
    COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
    INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
    BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
    LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
    CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
    LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN
    ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
    POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Of course, the usual disclaimers: IANAL, IANADD.
Corrections and/or improvements from other debian-legal contributors are
welcome!

Thanks, I'll suggest it to upstream, it seems good to me :)

P.S.: I recommend you against the use of Google Gmail.
      It's harmful for your own and your correspondents' privacy.
      See the following links for more details:
       http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/001398.php
      http://www.epic.org/privacy/gmail/faq.html
      http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

Thanks for the advice, at some point in the future I'll probably switch out to it, but right now It's much better for me to be using a webmail, and yahoo, the other one in which I have an account, works like hell lately.

Greetings and thanks,
Miry

PS: I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC me in your answers