Re: New Ion3 licence

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> writes:

> This one time, at band camp, Francesco Poli said:
> > On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:27:57 +0100 Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > > While I doubt I would have trouble updating the package within
> > > 28 days of an upstream release, I doubt that Debian would like
> > > to commit to that, and certainly the package would have to
> > > remain unreleased.
> >
> > It would also require the package(s) to be moved to the non-free
> > archive, I think.
>
> Then I think you've misread.  Patch clauses and name change clauses are
> explicitly allowed under the DFSG

They're explicitly allowed (though discouraged, as you noted) when the
requirement is in place for *modified* works. The license in question
is requiring a name change for even *unmodified* works, and that's
non-free.

--
 \        "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from |
  `\                           bad judgement."  -- Frederick P. Brooks |