Re: Logo trademark license vs. copyright license

In message <20070417194145.GA8729@stack.nl>, Arnoud Engelfriet <arnoud@engelfriet.net> writes
Francesco Poli wrote:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:09:11 +0200 Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> "The sign X, registered as a trademark under number $NUM in
> $REGION,..."

I don't know if Debian logos are actually *registered* marks.
Possibly, they are just unregistered trademarks...
Does anybody know for sure?

I didn't think of unregistered marks. Yes, in that case it
gets more tricky. This is a mostly-US problem; the other
jurisdictions I know of simply do not recognize trademark
rights unless registered.

As far as I'm aware, unregistered trademarks are NOT US-centric, although they may be Anglo-centric - they're a perfectly acceptable feature under British law.

Although as far as unregistered marks go, it's probably a case of "passing off". If I declare something as "tm" (ie an unregistered trademark) and somebody else then COPIES it, it's a pretty open-and-shut case of passing off.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk