Re: [RFC]: firmware-ipw2200, acceptable for non-free?

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:08:28 +1100 Andrew Donnellan wrote:

> On 3/9/07, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
[...]
> > Intel should be able to sell easily-reprogrammable WiFi cards: if
> > *I* modify one card and exceed regulatory limits, I should be seen
> > as the *sole* responsible.
>
> While I agree that this isn't an excuse for not freeing it, it's *NOT*
> whether Intel is responsible, it's that they don't want you doing it
> anyway.

That is my point: if they want to forbid some possible modifications
(just because those modifications would break some law) by retaining
source code and/or by license restrictions, they have a non-free goal!

The only reasonable justification I can think of is "we would be
considered responsible if you made those modifications", but that
justification would mean that the law is ill-conceived and should be
changed ASAP, as I stated.

> ie. A crowbar can be used to break in to a house. I can give you one
> and not be responsible if you break into a house, but maybe I don't
> want you to anyway, so I won't give you one.

What if I need the crowbar for legitimate uses (maybe I locked myself
out of my own garage door...)?  Denying me the crowbar would forbid me
those legitimate uses too.

Hope this clarifies what I mean.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/progs/scripts/refresh-pubring.html
 Need to refresh your keyring in a piecewise fashion?