Re: [RFC]: firmware-ipw2200, acceptable for non-free?

On 3/9/07, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> For a lot of wifi cards (dunno about Intel's) it's regulatory - they
> can't sell cards that can be easily modified to exceed FCC limits, so
> they limit it in a binary firmware. If they gave away the source,
> people could easily modify the card to exceed the legal output power,
> and thus they can't give away source.

This sounds like another cheap excuse: I cannot believe that the law
really says that *Intel* is responsible if *I* modify an Intel WiFi card
so that it exceeds regulatory limits...  If there indeed is a law like
this in some jurisdiction, well, the law should be changed ASAP.

Intel should be able to sell easily-reprogrammable WiFi cards: if *I*
modify one card and exceed regulatory limits, I should be seen as the
*sole* responsible.

While I agree that this isn't an excuse for not freeing it, it's *NOT*
whether Intel is responsible, it's that they don't want you doing it
anyway.

ie. A crowbar can be used to break in to a house. I can give you one
and not be responsible if you break into a house, but maybe I don't
want you to anyway, so I won't give you one.

--
Andrew Donnellan
ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom (primary)    ajdlinuxATexemailDOTcomDOTau (secure)