Re: Final text of AGPL v3

(I wrote this message 2007-11-19 and somehow it ended up stuck unsent in an
error mail-queue during a network-outage. I wasn't goign to resend since
this thread is now old, but I didn't see anyone make the same points, so
here it is...)

On Monday 19 November 2007 22:26:21 Francesco Poli wrote:
> >   Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, if you modify
> > the Program, your modified version must prominently offer all users
> > interacting with it remotely through a computer network (if your
> > version supports such interaction)
[...]
> This restriction compels whoever runs the modified version of the
> Program to [...]

Keep in mind, this only applies 1) "if you modify the Program" *and* 2) you
do something with the program that would normally be restricted by
copyright.

Here is an example:

Say I receive a pristine AGPLv3 program. The person who gave it to me had to
obey the terms of the AGPLv3 in order to distribute it to me, but I don't
have to accept it just to receive and run the program.

I modify it (say to remove the capability of getting source code) and run it
on my own computer, allowing remote users to interact with it. Assuming the
output sent to the users is *not* a derived work (e.g. no AGPLv3 HTML
templates, etc), there is no reason why I need any copyright license at
all. Thus, I don't need to provide source code to my users.

On the other hand, if I modified it, but left in the feature of the software
to allow remote users to get the source code, now I *would* be obligated
follow the terms of the AGPLv3, because I'm now distributing a modified
version.

So ironically, if there is an AGPLv3 work that already has the
give-remote-users-source-code feature and I'm making modifications to the
work, I'm obligated to keep that feature there, unless I remove it. I'm
personally a fan of the GPLv3, but the AGPLv3 is quite weak in practice
since it's very easy to work around for many kinds of programs[1].

[1] Again, assuming that the normal output of the program is not a derived
work of the program itself. This obviously doesn't apply to *all* AGPLv3
programs.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>