Re: About Logo License

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 10:12:53PM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
> Wait, wait! Debian's own policy is not satisfactory! At least, I
> don't consider it to be satisfactory (or DFSG-free), and other
> people seem to agree with me that it should be changed.

I'm aware that the licensing position regarding the Debian logos is
subject to ongoing discussion. However, pending a change of official
position it still seems reasonable for packages within Debian to adopt
the same policy. If the policy changes, then the rightsholders in
those packages will have a decision to make at that point.

To put it another way: whatever one thinks of the Debian logo policy,
it seems harsh on OP to make him comply with a stricter interpretation
of the DFSG than the Debian project currently applies to its own logo.

> Please see the following threads, for the gory details:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/02/msg00013.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/04/msg00071.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/06/msg00206.html

Thanks for the links. The interaction between copyright and trade
marks is not straightforward, especially when dealing with logos and
other images. I don't think any of the specific queries regarding the
Debian logo (etc.) can be answered without a broader decision on how
to handle trade mark rights in a free software context.

But this is taking us OT. As I said above, from the point of view of
OP's query, the fairest approach would seem to be to say, "Drop the
'clothing clause' and this should be fine for now, but bear in mind
the policy may change in the future".

John