Re: SIM-IM uses default ICQ sounds

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 03:20:20 Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> On 9/11/07, Joseph Neal <vlvtelvis@speakeasy.net> wrote:
> > Do sounds count as trademarks?  If so, this likely is one.
>
> There are audio trademarks, yes, although this may not be one.
>
> However, audio is definitely copyrightable, so even if it isn't a
> trademark it may very well be a copyright violation.

FWIW, that "uh-oh" sound had been one of those silly things "going around"
the internet long before ICQ ever existed; ICQ just grabbed it and used
it[1]. I'm not sure anyone really knows what the source is.

But if you are really concerned, record yourself saying "uh-oh" and speed it
way up[2] with audacity. Problem solved. =)

[1] Apparently; I never checked the md5sums or anything.
[2] Maybe this is what ICQ did. Who knows?

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>