Re: Using a CC-3.0-BY file as data file for a GPL program

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> Le dimanche 02 septembre 2007 à 19:03 +0530, Shriramana Sharma a écrit :
> > It's a program related to astronomy that requires latitude,
> > longitude and elevation of places to calculate sunrise, sunset
> > etc. For that I found the database from geonames.org. This
> > database has a certain internal format which the program will be
> > hard-coded to utilize.
>
> If the program cannot work without the database, that makes it a derived
> work.

You're aware that "derived work" in the context of copyright has a
specific legal meaning? I don't believe your assertion is correct in
the context of copyright law.

Nor do I believe it's true even in the general sense. It's quite
possible to design a program to *interoperate with* a set of data
without *deriving the program work from* that data set.

--
 \        "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make |
  `\     you something else is the greatest accomplishment."  -- Ralph |