Re: us crypto export regulations

Pat writes:

>  How would the US export restrictions be applicable to a custom debian
> cdrom?  The cdrom would have no additional crypto functionality than
> what is already available in debian and there would be no changes to
> the source code, so how would it apply regarding distributing isos?
> How are these export restrictions applicable to mirroring Debian? Is there
>  anything additional I need to do or is it covered by Debian as it is
> Debain software?

If you want legal advice -- the kind of advice that will (usually) be
accurate and safe enough to keep you out of jail -- you need to retain
a qualified lawyer to answer these questions.

Some members of the -legal mailing list may have done similar things,
but what worked for them may not be good enough for your application
or for your personal situation.  In today's law-enforcement climate, I
(personally) would be wary of taking anyone else's word on crypto
export controls.

You might be able to find and read the export restrictions on your
own, but retaining a lawyer is the safe bet since the lawyer would
know either how the law in the field is applied or the limits of their
own knowledge.

Michael Poole