Re: LGPL v3 compatibilty

Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Måns_Rullgård <mans@mansr.com> wrote:
>> Walter Landry <walter@geodynamics.org> writes:

>> > Doesn't the kernel get its implementations for pow(), sqrt(),
>> > printf(), and the rest of the C standard library from glibc, which is
>> > LGPL'd?
>>
>> No.  The kernel is completely self-contained.  Some code may of course
>> have been borrowed from glibc at some point, but that's irrelevant.
>
> Are you sure that it is self-contained?  Grepping through the sources
> of 2.6.22.1, I do not see an implementation of <stdarg.h> or
> <stdio.h>.  I do see <string.h>, and <math.h> is never included.

Inside the kernel stdio is meaningless, so I'd hardly expect to find
that header there.  The only places in the kernel source where stdio.h
is included are in tools, such as kconfig, only to be used for
building the kernel or for testing purposes.  This use of standard C
header files is of course completely outside the scope of any license.

As for stdarg.h, it is provided by the compiler, and generally
(including GCC) licensed without restrictions on use.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans@mansr.com