Re: GPL v3 app with copied GPLv2 or later source and linked against LGPL-2 or later libraries

"Anthony W. Youngman" <debian@thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message [🔎] Yo8Ynp6EJAlGFwqs@thewolery.demon.co.uk">news:[🔎] Yo8Ynp6EJAlGFwqs@thewolery.demon.co.uk...
In message <[🔎] 20070710115359.4cff03e6.codehelp@debian.org>, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes
All the gnucash source code used in gpe-cash is "GPLv2 or later".
The Gtk frontend for gpe-cash is GPLv3 or later. I am therefore
using my option to distribute and modify the gnucash source code
under a later version of the GPL, bringing the entire source code
for gpe-cash under version 3 of the GPL. This specifically includes
the shared library libqofcashobjects.
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>

You are NOT "bringing the entire source code for gpe-cash under version 3 of the GPL". If it was licenced "2 or later", it STAYS "2 or later".

What you are doing is saying "gpe-cash contains some code that is '2 or later' and some code that is '3 only' or '3 or later', therefore 3 is the only licence that is valid for gpe-cash".

To re-iterate. You are NOT changing the pre-existing licence on code you've borrowed. But because of the mix of licences, the only licence that is valid for the combined work is v3.

Perhaps a bit pedantic, but you are right. What he is doing is doesn't actually change the licences, but the result effectively has the licence of GPL v3 (or perhaps GPL v3 or Later).