Re: Final text of GPL v3

On Monday 02 July 2007 01:57:07 pm Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> Are you saying that somebody has decided to give the US government the
> right to rule the world?

No, but the US government has the right to enforce its laws and other
countries have the right to respond in kind.  Germany, for example, has
claimed universal jurisdiction for the purposes of human rights violations...
of course, the U.S. would never turn over one of it's citizens to such a
court.  Are you sure your government will stand up for you if the U.S. comes
calling?  Is it worth the risk?

> I don't give a monkeys about American criminal law, because I don't live
> there. And I have no desire to visit there.

Well, that's all fine and good.  However, if you were to pass yourself off as
a lawyer and give legal advice to Americans from your home country, I would
think it would only be a matter of time before Interpol would come looking
for you with a one-way extradition ticket to the U.S.

> And what would you do about the Sklyarov affair? What he did was
> criminal under US law, I agree. But under Russian law (the law of his
> local jurisdiction) it was MANDATORY!

Ah, but Sklyarov chose to do what he did from American soil, so not really a
great example.  For the record, I protested in front of the Seattle Adobe
building when that all went down, so don't think I'm some sort of corporate
suit wearing dude here.

> You're basically claiming that if American law flatly contradicts the
> law of some other country, then people living in that country have to
> ignore their own law and abide by American law instead !!!

I don't think that's what being said.  But I also don't advise you stand on
your side of the border shooting bullets into another country and then
declare "I'm not in your country so I don't have to abide by your laws!"

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
e: skellogg@gmail.com

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown