Re: Final text of GPL v3

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:31:29 +0100 Anthony Towns wrote:

[...]
> Francesco is not a lawyer,

I *explicitly* wrote this disclaimer in my comment message ("The usual
disclaimers: IANAL, IANADD."): I cannot understand why you seem to have
such fun in pointing fingers at other people and repeating "he/she's not
a lawyer!", "he/she's not a Debian developer!"...

> that isn't legal advice,

Since I explicitly noted that IANAL, it goes without saying that I
cannot give legal advice.

> it's almost
> certainly not based on legal advice,

I would have said so, if I had the opportunity to get legal advice on
the matter.

> and those sorts of questions
> should be discussed with either the copyright holder of the work you
> want to modify or a lawyer if you want an answer you can actually use.
>
> Personally, I think you'll have plenty of luck avoiding the
> requirement if you talk to upstream authors about it

Great!  Because free software is about asking every copyright holder of
each package for permission to do anything!    :-(

> (with the
> possible exception of the FSF)

So, at the end of the day, you too think that the intended meaning of
the clause can be the one I am afraid it is...   :-?

> who can give you permission in addition
> to the GPL, and not much luck if you talk to lawyers about reading it
> more liberally in general.
>
> But YMMV and more importantly your lawyer's mileage may vary.

Well, it would be interesting to hear what a real lawyer has to say
about this clause and its interpretation.

Especially considering that works released under the terms of GNU GPL v3
are already entering Debian: see bug #431165...

Big disclaimers: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, ATATIAAWBI (According To Anthony
                 Towns, I Am Always Wrong Because IANADD/IANAL), ...

BTW, are *you* a lawyer?
Is *your* reply legal advice?
Or is it *based* on legal advice?

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?