Re: Final text of GPL v3

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 02:35:42 +0100 Iain Nicol wrote:

[...]
> Concerning section 5d of the final text of the GPL 3:
> >   5. Conveying Modified Source Versions.
> [...]
> >     d) If the work has interactive user interfaces, each must
> >     display Appropriate Legal Notices; however, if the Program has
> >     interactive interfaces that do not display Appropriate Legal
> >     Notices, your work need not make them do so.
>
> Francesco Poli worries:
> > It mandates a feature that I *must* implement in *any* interactive
> > interface of my modified work. [...] it seems that when a
> > non-interactive work is modified so that it becomes an interactive
> > work, the modifier is *compelled* to implement these features in
> > *any* newly created interactive interface.
> Could this requirement be interpreted more liberally?

I wish it could, but I am afraid it cannot...  :-(

> I'm
> concentrating on the bit from "however". Suppose: I receive a program
> under the GPL 3. I create a new interface for the program, without the
> legal notices.

If the work, as you received it, has *no* interactive interfaces, the
exception granted with the "however" sentence does *not* apply.
As a consequence, *any* interactive interface you add to a
non-interactive work *must* display Appropriate Legal Notices.

> The license says that, when distributing my modified version, I "need
> not make" interfaces of "the Program" that don't display a legal
> notice display a legal notice. I think, then, to be exempt from the
> requirement to make user interfaces display legal notices, my modified
> version of the Program would have to count as just "the Program".
>
> Consider that "The Program" is defined as:
> >  "The Program" refers to any copyrightable work licensed under this
> > License.
> When I convey a modified source version, 5c) requires the entire
> modified work be licensed under the GPL. This then means that when you
> convey a modified "the Program", the new bits are licensed, and so the
> whole modified program becomes just "the Program". I do not need to
> add legal notices to interfaces of "the Program" that lack then.

Unfortunately, I don't think this interpretation is correct.
In the context of section 5 (and of other sections too), the "Program"
refers to the GPLv3'd work, as you received it, while the "work [based
on the Program]" is the modified version of the work that you produced
by modifying the Program.

Let me quote the relevant part of section 5:

|   5. Conveying Modified Source Versions.
|
|   You may convey a work based on the Program, or the modifications to
| produce it from the Program, in the form of source code under the
| terms of section 4, provided that you also meet all of these
| conditions:
[...]

> I'm curious how far fetched people think this is.
>
> If this interpretation were true, then the only burden of this section
> would be to keep the legal notices in the user interfaces that you
> keep, but you would *not* be required to add any notices to any user
> interface, regardless of whether you wrote the interface or not.

I have tried to convince the FSF to drop clause 5d or, at least, to
relax it so that it only required what you have just said:

http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/rt/summarydecision.html?filename=%3C%%20%20%%3E&id=709
http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/rt/summarydecision.html?filename=%3C%%20gplv3-draft-1%20%%3E&id=1659
http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/rt/summarydecision.html?filename=%3C%%20gplv3-draft-1%20%%3E&id=2764
http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/rt/summarydecision.html?filename=%3C%%20%20%%3E&id=3214

but, unfortunately, I failed.   :-(

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/testing_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian testing installation walk-through?